Start Date

6-6-2013 3:10 PM

End Date

6-6-2013 4:40 PM

Description

What should society expect from the provision of university education? The universal goal of higher education is fostering curiosity about all phenomena- technological and natural- and most importantly, producing socially responsible members of society. According to this general consensus, one must explore the attributes of a socially responsible individual in a global context, commonly referred to as global citizenry. Such a concept seems quite farfetched in a world where technological advancements and global interconnectedness reaches their epitome, yet an overemphasis on national sovereignty proceeds. Simultaneous occurrences make it seem almost impossible for global citizenry of the highest caliber to be authentically practiced even among a progressive generation. Addressing the former question, I explore how attaining global citizenship can indeed be practical in our modern era if pursued as an ideal byproduct of civic education; which is simultaneously based on language and cultural acquisition, as well as closely connected to one’s academic achievement. However, this expansive form of citizenship can only be maintained through global institutional experiences during and post undergraduate education. Therefore, I argue that civic career pathways should be normalized in mainstream institutions in order to increase the demand and production of long term socially progressive citizenries. I also argue that global citizenry can reach its optimum form once pre and post civic educational opportunities are viewed as lucrative elements in universal job markets. Civic education could be transferred through practical applications of the educator and manifested in tangible forms by the educated employee, producing positive global ramifications. As a case study, I reference my own civic educational experience during undergraduate and career pathway to demonstrate a practical model of global citizenship that is indeed achievable, even in this interconnected yet divided world.

Recommended Citation

Okwandu, C. (2013, June). The manufacturing of global citizenry. Paper presented at the 4th Asia-Pacific Regional Conference on Service-Learning: Service-Learning as a Bridge from Local to Global: Connected world, Connected future, Hong Kong and Guangzhou, China.

Share

COinS

Jun 6th, 3:10 PM Jun 6th, 4:40 PM

The manufacturing of global citizenry