Lingnan University traces its origins back to 1888, when the American Presbyterian Board of Foreign Missions founded the Christian College in Canton, China. This College became the Canton Christian College in 1903 and eventually Lingnan University in 1927. The University has made an enormous contribution to the history of Chinese education. The University ceased to hold classes in 1952.
Through the efforts of University alumni, Lingnan College was re-established in 1967 to continue the fine traditions of the University in Hong Kong. In 1978, the College was registered under the Post Secondary Colleges Ordinance and received partial government financial assistance. The College has progressed since 1991 from being a post secondary college to one of the degree-conferring tertiary institutions funded by the University Grant Committee of Hong Kong. In 1995, the College moved to its new campus in Tuen Mun. In July 1999, the College attained self-accreditation status and the University title.
On display here are selected photos recalling the university's long and colourful history. Committed to providing a liberal arts education, Lingnan University posses a to bright future in the local tertiary education in the years ahead.
Specific year groupings can be seen at the links below: