Transcultural sonic encounters and knowledge production in Africa-China

Start Date

14-4-2023 10:00 AM

End Date

14-4-2023 11:15 AM

Description

China’s engagement with the world is shaped by how China understands itself, the world, and China’s place in the world. In this talk, I explore media not only as material and cultural products, but as sites of knowledge production and circulation in China. By focusing on the social lives of media products and how they contribute to understandings of Africa in modern China, I argue that knowledge production and circulation of Africa contributes to how China understands itself since the 20th century when China sought to (re)define itself and its place in the world. I pursue this argument by examining the life and works of Zhu Mingying- an influential Chinese folk musician in the 20th century, tracing the circulation of her artform into twenty-first century classrooms, and its implications for transcultural learning in modern China.

Document Type

Presentation

Recommended Citation

Suglo, I. G. D. (2023, April). Transcultural sonic encounters and knowledge production in Africa-China. Presented at the International Symposium on Africa-China Relations in an Era of Uncertain Future. Lingnan University, Hong Kong.

This document is currently not available here.

Share

COinS

Apr 14th, 10:00 AM Apr 14th, 11:15 AM