Location

MD214, Paul Cardinal Shen Medical Building, Fu Jen University

Start Date

28-5-2015 4:30 PM

End Date

28-5-2015 5:40 PM

Description

Theatre as a medium of artistic expression has been successful in providing space for actors, artistic team and spectators to enjoy a work of art. However, in the case of Indonesia, theatre may have a role for empowering people. Inspired by Boal's Theatre of the Oppressed, in this paper I propose a service learning program that involves theatrical production. In this program, interactive theatrical method is used for writing the script and staging the performance. Participants from the targeted community and the students from my University will collaborate to brainstorm the possible theme for their story. They identify essential problems or issues that happened around them and may have a potential to be an interesting performance that can create a discussion. The theatre performance will be a collaborative work between the actors and spectators. Both sides will involve inside and after the performance. In this way, through the interactive theatrical production, that is, a combination of artistic and social aspects, I would suggest that interactive theatre can be an alternative for service learning program.

Recommended Citation

Meilinda (2015, May). Community empowerment: Interactive theatre production and service learning. Paper presented at the 5th Asia-Pacific Regional Conference on Service-Learning: Love Journey: Community Engagement through Service-Learning, Fu Jen Catholic University, Taiwan.

Share

COinS

May 28th, 4:30 PM May 28th, 5:40 PM

Community empowerment : interactive theatre production and service learning