In 1967, Lingnan University was “re-established” in Hong Kong under the name of Lingnan College.
Since the former Lingnan University ceased operation in 1952, Lingnanians from all over the world strived to continue the Spirit of Lingnan. Under the coordination of Edward Chan Tak-tai and a group of enthusiastic alumni, the formidable task of re-establishing a Lingnan institution to offer tertiary programmes had been undertaken.
“Re-establishment” does not mean the reappearance of the former Lingnan University in Hong Kong. Rather, it means the Establishment of Lingnan College in Hong Kong by a group of Lingnanians in 1967 to continue the fine tradition of Lingnan Education. Hong Kong in its 1960s ran into shortage of post-secondary places. The re-establishment of Lingnan College was a timely act to put our guiding motto - “Education for Service” into practice and to make profound impact towards the higher education development in Hong Kong.