William Henry Grant was associated with Lingnan from 1895 until 1933. Independently wealthy, he had become acquainted with Lingnan during a visit to Guangzhou in 1890, where he stayed with Rev. B. C. Henry, who had worked with Dr. Happer on establishing the school. At that time the school was temporarily closed due to the illness of both Dr. and Mrs. Happer. Grant returned to visit the school again in 1897 and recommended to the Trustees in New York that the Board be reorganized and its scope broadened.