Architect C. W. Stoughton was hired to design the new campus. Martin Hall, originally East Hall, the first building on the campus, was completed in 1906 and named for Henry Martin of Cincinnati, one of the first contributors to the University. It was the first building in Guangzhou to be built of red brick and reinforced concrete. Dr. Sun Yat-sen addressed the students and faculty of the University in the Hall on 3 May 1912, encouraging the students to use their knowledge to build a new China. Grant Hall, the administration building, was completed in 1916.