嶺南大學與嶺南教育機構 : 展板 = Lingnan University and Lingnan Education Organization : Boards

 

Creator

Preview

image preview

Creation Date

2019

Description

嶺南大學起源於1884年,由美國長老會 安德魯•哈巴牧師及香便文牧師倡議,於中國成立一所基督教書院,至1888年在廣州創立「格致書院」。成立初因著時局曾數次遷校更名,至20世紀初選定廣州康樂作校址,1927年由國人自辦,正式改名為「私立嶺南大學」,委任鍾榮光博士成為首位華人校長。

受中日戰事影響,嶺南師生於1938年撤離廣州,曾借用香港大學校園復課,其後李應林校長返回曲江仙人廟建設「嶺大村」。1945年日本戰敗投降,嶺南大學重返廣州康樂校園復課,至1952年因政府進行高等教育院系調整而停辦。

Lingnan University traces its origins back to 1884. Rev. B. C. Henry and Dr. A. P. Happer from the American Presbyterian Mission proposed to establish “Christian College in China” at Canton in 1888. The College, after several suspensions and relocations, established its campus at Hong Lok, Honaam, Guangzhou in early 20th century. In 1927, the College was transferred to Chinese administration and was formally renamed as “Lingnan University”. Dr. Chung Wing Kwong was appointed as the first Chinese President.

During the Sino-Japanese War, Lingnan evacuated from Hong Lok Campus in 1938 and resumed classes by making use of the campus at the University of Hong Kong. Later in 1941, Hong Kong fell. President Lee Ying-lam returned to Guangdong and rebuilt “Lingtaitsuen” at Sinyanmiu, Kukong. With Japanese forces surrendered in 1945, Lingnan University resumed full operation at Guangzhou Hong Lok Campus, but finally ceased operation in 1952 after a major reorganization of higher education in China.

Share

 
COinS