Start Date

13-12-2011 3:45 PM

End Date

13-12-2011 5:30 PM

Description

I am part of the despairing middle class in Mexico, a generation of young people who went to private schools, who went to college, who speak English, live on their own and have a job. I am part of a minority, and even that seems exaggerating, only around of 17% of the total population actually gets in to a college in Mexico. And I say despairing because the crisis is fast finishing with this middle class social stratus

There has been awareness about the crisis for some years now, but poverty has always been a part of Mexico’s reality. I grew up in Chiapas, the poorest state in the country. Kids without shoes, begging for money was an everyday event something that was just there, not necessarily as part of a big economical failure, but as part of the country’s reality itself.

Streaming Media

Recommended Citation

Santana, A. O. (2012, December). Livelihood and living for the youth in Latin America = 拉丁美洲青年人的人生與生活. Paper presented at 2012 International Conference on Sustainability & Rural Reconstruction, Southwest University, Chongqing, China.

Dec 13th, 3:45 PM Dec 13th, 5:30 PM

Livelihood and living for the youth in Latin America = 拉丁美洲青年人的人生與生活