•  
  •  

Authors

Siu Cheong LI

Abstract

This term paper departs from the observations accumulated during the Umbrella Movement taken place in the year 2014, which is a movement transformed from a planned non-violent civil disobedience movement called the Occupy Central with Love and Peace movement, aiming to call for a “democratic” way of electing the Chief Executive of the Hong Kong government. From the experience of engaging myself in the movement, which people in general call this as a large-scale democracy movement, I was guided to rethink the concepts of “democracy”, “human rights” and “global solidarity”. Therefore, in this paper, I shall outline the reflections made upon the Umbrella Movement, after that the insertion of the conceptual framework made by Michael Hardt and Antonio Negri, then go into the discussion of democracy, followed by the intertwinement of globalization, democracy and human rights, and last but not least to make an attempt to articulate Hong Kong’s context.

Recommended Citation

Li, S.-c. (2017). Viewing globalization, democracy and human rights from the standpoint of Hong Kong. Cultural Studies@Lingnan, 60. Retrieved from http://commons.ln.edu.hk/mcsln/vol60/iss1/2/

Share

COinS